• Requirements for Leaving Japan

Requirements for Leaving Japan

Before moving out of a rented house/apartment, give the landlord or the real estate company at least one month’s notice in advance. If the notice is given at the last minute, the next month’s rent will be charged.
When you move out, you must clean the room and leave it in the same condition as when you started living in it, or the cost of repairs and cleaning will be deducted from your security deposit.
Clean the room thoroughly and return it to its original condition, otherwise repair fees will be deducted from the deposit (shiki-kin). If the room is in an unusual severe condition, additional expenses may be required. Contact the City/Ward Office to arrange for the disposal of large-scale garbage such as household furniture, futons, bicycle, etc.
According to law, air-conditioners, TVs, washing machines, refrigerators, and computers cannot be disposed of as large-scale garbage. Contact the shop where the appliance was purchased, electronic stores, or the manufacturer to arrange for disposal. In all cases, a disposal fee will be charged.

When to give away a bicycle


How to dispose or seperate garbage

Chiba city:Guideline for disposing household waste and recyclable garbege (Multilingual) Here

Matsudo city:How to separate household garbage (Japanese) Here

Matsudo city:How to separate household garbage (English) Here

About two weeks prior to the move-out date, apply to each company to stop using their services for utility bills such as electricity, gas, and water, and telephone and Internet contracts, and follow the instructions to settle the accounts. Do not forget to settle the final month.
Some companies may have technician come, so you may need to be present for this.

<If you have a new residence and a definite moving schedule>
At the same time you apply to stop using the service, please inform them about the start of use at your next new location. However, only if the same company is used at the new location.

Contact information

【TEPCO (Tokyo electricity and Tokyo gas)】
Give your customer number and follow the procedure. The number is shown on the meter reading slip or etc. Online procedures are available through "Hikkoshi renraku-cho". *Japanese only
Hikkoshi renraku-cho
If you can understand Japanese, please apply through the online procedure above.
The contact information for English-support is, please refer to TEPCO's website below, "Please refer to the following for various procedures and inquiries." . You can find the phone number and automated voice response.

【Chiba Prefectural Water Supply】
Online procedures are available through the "Hikkoshi renraku-cho". *Japanese only
Hikkoshi renraku-cho
Or, call Chiba Prefectural Water Supply to apply. Call 0570-001-245 for both English and Japanese.
Weekdays 8:45a.m.-6:00p.m., Saturdays 8:45a.m.-5:00p.m, ※Closed on Sundays, holidays, and year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 through January 3 of the following year)
Give your customer number when you call. If you would like to request English support, please ask them "English support".
(FYI) Chiba Prefectural Water Supply/千葉県営水道

【Matsudo city Water Supply】
Online procedures are not available. You can apply at the counter or by phone.
Matsudo city Water Supply/松戸市水道部 *Multilingual support
Monday through Saturday: 8:30a.m.-5:00p.m.; closed on Sundays, national holidays, and year-end and New Year holidays (except Saturdays).

【Convenient Services】
"Hikkoshi renraku-cho"(https://www.hikkoshi-line.com)is an online service that allows you to consolidate procedures with multiple suppliers such as electricity, gas, and water at one time, although it is only available in Japanese. However, it is necessary to check in advance whether the vendor supports this service.

Close bank or postal savings accounts at respective service counters after making sure all debts are paid (especially those who have arranged for the automatic deduction of utility bills from their bank/postal saving accounts).

Required items

・Resident Card or Passport
・Personal seal (Inkan), Stamp
 (if used when opening the account)

Open hours

Bank: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 - 15:00 (Except Holidays)
Post Office: Mon. - Fri. 9:00 - 16:00 (Except Holidays)

International students leaving Japan after completing their study programs must complete the following procedures at the appropriate sections of their City/Ward Office once their departure date has been decided.

Required items

・Resident Card
・National Health Insurance Card
・National Pension Handbook (if enrolled in the National Pension Scheme)
・My Number Card (If you have)

Notification of Moving Out

First of all, a Notification of Moving-Out must be submitted to the resident registration counter. This procedure should be completed before you apply for a cost-adjustment of the NHI and withdrawal from the National Pension System (see below).

Cost-adjustment of National Health Insurance

The payment of the National Health Insurance (NHI) premium is divided into ten installments per year. International students leaving Japan must apply for cost-adjustment of their premiums at the NHI section of their City/Ward Office. The NHI expiration date will be modified to be valid until the time of departure.

Withdrawal from National Pension System (if enrolled in the National Pension Scheme)

The cancellation procedures must be done at the National Pension System (NPS) section of the City/Ward Office. Those who satisfy the conditions (e.g. having paid the pension premiums over six months) can file for a partial reimbursement of their premiums. For further details, please refer to the Japanese Pension Service website or visit the NPS section of your municipal office.
Japan Pension Service

For information on procedures about status of residence, please click here.

When leaving Japan after completing your program, return your Resident Card to the immigration officer at the departing port, e.g. Narita Airport.

Chiba University ISDtoppage